More Than 100 Delicious Plant-Based Recipes From Around The World.
We caught up with Ellie just before the release of Global Vegan.
Why have you chosen a plant-based diet?
I chose a plant-based diet as it’s what felt most right in terms of health and longevity. During my studies of nutrition and dietetics, I slowly began a transition to a wholefood plant-based diet. Initially, it was for the health benefits however during my transition I also learnt that it was also great for the environment too!
And what tips can you give people who want to convert to a plant-based diet?
1. Grab a great cookbook as a resource to follow in the kitchen. It’s important to be confident in cooking plant-based food at home!
2. Don’t expect that you have to do it overnight. Transitioning slowly is 100% okay!
3. Read some books and listen to some great podcasts to keep inspiring you on your journey.
4. If a friend/family member or partner wants to do it with you this can be great fun!
Do you remember the trip that gave you the travel bug in the beginning?
Our first trip to the Philippines was lots of fun! We went with a few of our friends so it was a really great adventure. I think after this I was super excited to see more!
What do you personally get out of travelling?
I think it’s the experiences while travelling. I love doing cooking classes to learn about local food or going to see beautiful landscapes and locations, it always takes my breath away how stunning and diverse this planet is.
And your favourite countries to eat?
Vietnam, Sri Lanka, and Indonesia.
What are your Top 3 Travel Tips for finding the best food?
- Check Trip Advisor for the best-rated places to eat!
- Then go and check if they have an Instagram account, I’m a visual person and I like to see the menu online so I can get a feel for what kind of food they’re serving.
- Get recommendations from locals or friends who’ve visited before. Sometimes I like to pop a story up on my Instagram to see if I can get some local tips!
And your Top 3 Travel Tips to remain healthy on longer trips?
Book some Airbnbs with full kitchens so that you can cook your own food occasionally – long trips really make me miss my own cooking!
Pack some healthy snacks for flights and if possible pack or make a healthy meal before the flight. I’ve definitely been known to bring avocados on flights to have with crackers 😉
Pack a reusable water bottle to stay hydrated during the day. It’s also great for the environment.
FAST 5 with Ellie
What couldn’t you live without in the kitchen?
What is your most memorable meal and why?
Bahn Xeo – I remember being so shocked that it was vegan, and I was blown away by the flavours!
What’s your worst kitchen disaster?
A flat soggy cake! Baking can be stressful and it sucks when you’ve spent an hour making a cake only to cut it open and it’s uncooked inside and didn’t rise 🙁
What would you want to eat for your last meal?
Avocado on toast (a delicious sourdough) with chilli flakes, vegan feta and lemon, + an oat milk latte 😉
The great coriander debate – yes or no?
What ingredients couldn’t you live without?
Well, my daily necessities: coffee, oats, avocado, and kale!