ALL AMERICAN BEEF TACOS
YIELD: 4 TO 6 SERVINGS
No taco book would be complete without this classic, which I like to serve family style. This simple recipe is always a crowd pleaser—as well as one of my stand-by midweek meals.
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 g) ground beef (minced)
- 2 1/2 (12 g) tablespoons Arriba! Seasoning
- 8 to 12 crunchy corn taco shells, warmed
- 1 1/2 (180 g) cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 (80 g) cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- Restaurant-Style Salsa (page 20)
- Easy Guacamole (page 19)
- Sour cream
In a large skillet, cook the meat with the seasoning over medium heat, breaking up the chunks with a wooden spoon into small pieces as it cooks. Once cooked, drain off the fat.
To serve, scoop the beef inside each tortilla and top with cheese, lettuce, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.
EASY GUACAMOLE PAGE 19
YIELD: 4 TO 6 SERVINGS
Don’t have everything you need to make Homemade Guacamole? No problem! This recipe comes together in seconds—no chopping required.
- 3 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 1/2 cup (130 g) Pico de Gallo or store-bought fresh salsa
Scoop the flesh of the avocados into a large bowl and use a fork to roughly mash it, making sure you leave a few chunks behind.
Mix in the pico de gallo and serve. Cover and refrigerate leftovers. Prior to serving, mix guacamole around to freshen up color.
RESTAURANT STYLE SALSA
YIELD: 12 SERVINGS, ABOUT 4 CUPS (950 ML)
This salsa requires minimal effort, contains zero additives, and results in 100 percent satisfaction every time. Bring on the chips!
- 1 (15-ounce/428 g) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 (15-ounce/428 g) can petite diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 or 2 jalapeños, seeded
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup (5 g) chopped fresh cilantro
Add all ingredients in the order listed to your blender or food processor. Pulse to combine, then blend on medium speed, gradually increasing to high speed until the texture is nearly smooth.
Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour prior to serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
This is the ultimate taco seasoning, my holy grail of all-purpose seasonings. I have shared it in two previous cookbooks and I’m thrilled to share it again with you here. When in doubt, sprinkle it over everything.
YIELD: ABOUT 1/2 CUP (60 G)
- 3 tablespoons (23 g) chili powder
- 2 tablespoons (14 g) ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon (7 g) paprika
- 11/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powderSalsa
In a small bowl, whisk together all the seasonings. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 6 months.
The Taco Tuesday Cookbook © 2018 Quarto Publishing Group USA Inc. Text © 2018 Laura Fuentes.