The rice in this recipe provides all the flavour, texture and substance to perfectly accompany loads of alkalising greens. Have fun choosing your favourite greens to add to this nourishing bowl of goodness and enjoy them with a squeeze of lime and a creamy avo. Perfect when you are craving that green goodness. This recipe also works really well with quinoa or brown rice.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 190 g (6½ oz/1 cup) wild rice
- 1 tablespoon hulled tahini*
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos*
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 45 g (1½ oz/1 cup) English spinach
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 60 g (2 oz/1 cup) alfalfa sprouts
- 1 sheet organic nori*, shredded
- 40 g (1½ oz/1 cup) pea shoots
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ teaspoon black sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 1 lime, halved
Place the rice in a medium saucepan with 500 ml (17 fl oz/2 cups) of water. Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all the water is absorbed.
While the rice cooks, assemble your salad in two serving bowls.
Once the rice is cooked, stir through the tahini, coconut aminos and garlic powder, add to the salad bowls and serve.
This is an edited extract from Whole by Harriet Birrell published by Hardie Grant Books $50.00 and is available where all good books are sold. Photographer: © Nikole Ramsay