PREPARATION 25 minutes
COOKING 50 minutes
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 kg Kent or butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 × 400 g tin salt-reduced chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons tahini, or to taste
- chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve (optional)OAT AND PARSLEY DUMPLINGS
- 1 cup (150 g) gluten-free self-raising flour
- 30 g salt-reduced vegan margarine spread, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup (30 g) raw (natural) rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 70 ml calcium-enriched almond milk
- Heat a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat and spray with olive oil.Add the celery and carrot and cook for 3 minutes or until soft but not coloured. Add the grated ginger and stir for 30 seconds, then add the cumin, coriander, ground ginger and cinnamon and stir for another 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Add the pumpkin to the pan and stir to coat with the celery mixture, then pour in 3 cups (750 ml) water and bring to the boil. Add the chickpeas and stir, then reduce the heat to low–medium and simmer for 25 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender. Stir in the tahini.
Using a stick blender, blend the soup until a smooth puree forms.
Meanwhile, to make the dumplings, place the flour in a bowl, then rub in the margarine until a crumbly mixture forms. Stir in the oats and parsley, then slowly add the milk, stirring until a dough forms.
Pinch off small pieces of the dough, then, using lightly floured hands, roll into 1.5 cm diameter balls; you should have about 12. Place the dough balls on top of the soup – they will sink, but then float to the surface when they are cooked. Cover and cook over low heat for 15–20 minutes or until the dumplings are puffed and cooked through (test with a skewer – it should come out clean).
Divide the soup and dumplings among bowls, scatter with extra parsley, if desired, then serve.
Recipes from The CSIRO Healthy Gut Diet, published by Macmillan RRP $34.95