- 24 jumbo shrimp/prawns ( uncooked, raw)
- 2 cups of vegetable oil
- 2 green plantains
INGREDIENTS FOR JERK SEASONING
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of all spice
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chilli pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon of dried parsley
INGREDIENTS FOR PINEAPPLE RELISH
- 1 pineapple – diced
- 2 seedless cucumbers, diced
- 2 red peppers ( capsicum) , diced
- 1/2 cup of fresh torn mint
- Juice of one lime
- 1/2 cup of sushi or rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup of Mirin ( or if unable to find this, you can use dry sherry or vermouth)
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons of Thai sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 6 fresh sprigs of rosemary to garnish each plate.
To make Jerk Seasoning
Blend all jerk seasoning ingredients in a bowl, add peeled and deveined shrimp/prawns into the bowl, massage in the jerk seasoning. Place in the fridge.
To make pineapple relish
Mix sushi vinegar, olive oil, fish sauce, Thai sweet Chilli sauce, Mirin and fresh lime juice together in a bowl. Add diced pineapple, cucumber, red peppers ( capsicum) and mint, stir together. Set to one side.
To make plantain crisps
Remove outer skin from plantains. Using a mandolin or potato peeler, thinly slice plantain length wise. Place a pot on high heat, add a cup of vegetable oil. To test place a tiny piece of plantain into the oil, if it rises to the surface and sizzles, you are good to go.
Add two pieces of plantain carefully at a time, turn till plantain is evenly golden, remove and drain on paper towel.
To cook Shrimp/Prawns
Place a non stick fry pan on a medium heat, cover surface of pan with vegetable oil, place shrimp/prawns into pan turn till prawns/shrimp are evenly pink in colour, will take approximately 6 minutes or so.
Place pineapple relish in a half circle on your plate, place a high sided small dish on the plate, add 2 tablespoons of pineapple relish inside, feed 4 shrimp/prawns onto a bamboo skewer, place in dish, add a couple of plantain crisps and a sprig of fresh rosemary.
NB – This dish can used as a light lunch or first course at dinner. By adding seasoned rice, this can be useful as a dinner option.
Recipe and images by Lisa Mead